introduce yourselves!

Anything related to our hobby that is not for the other catigories. and because we're not the tmf anything is allowed here!
rgodridge
Site Admin

introduce yourselves!

Post by rgodridge » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:54 pm

I would like this to be a friendly comunity, not a bunch of competing collectors that go on and on about rubber gaskits or something! and so I thought it'd be nice to introduce ourselves to one and other. Not manditory of corse!
I'm Rob, 27, from England. I'm totally blind (have been from birth) am one of Jehovah's witnesses and newly married. I've always been interested in old records for as long as I can remember, my introduction to 78s was through my grandparents 1950s pop records, hearing Jelly Roll Morton's doctor jazz stomp was the big experience for me!
I have about 13000 78s, 700 or so cylinders, 4 gramophones and a cylinder phonograph.

Bandmaster

Re: introduce yourselves!

Post by Bandmaster » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:58 pm

Hi Rob & all other members,

I've just pasted this post from my first forum post in the 'test topic' thread as I've only just seen this section - I suspect Rob may have to do a bit of 'thread merging'.

I only have a couple of mechanical gramophones plus a few spare parts, but probably thousands of records.

I mainly use a Dynatron radiogram (one of those with the PX4 type triode push pull output stage) fitted with a Garrard RC80 type deck to play 78s. I've had a special single play spindle made to cater for all those 'older' records that are too thick to pass through the gap in the normal cranked auto spindle. This (still very vintage) deck has a nice light pickup for minimal wear - hopefully!

I do have a VERY wide taste in music and also have a substantial collection of 45s

Cheers

Bandmaster

Bixfan2017

Post by Bixfan2017 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:29 pm

Hi, i'm Ben and i like Bix and jazz of the same period 1920ish to 1935 i live in Norwich, england and i've been following Rob on youtube for a couple of years . i sometimes write for the fan group on facebook it's great to be here
I luv Bix

rgodridge
Site Admin

Post by rgodridge » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:38 pm

Good to meet you Ben!
What other players do you like?
Red Nichols vs Bix? :p

Bixfan2017

Post by Bixfan2017 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:06 pm

Red vs Bix that's a bit of a problem one isn't it that sort of question makes people think and upsets most of them as well
I luv Bix

UKPhil

Post by UKPhil » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:13 am

Hi Rob & others members

Thank for letting me join been a collector of 78's for the last 5 years have a few hundred discs of various genre's plus a some early Berliners as far back as 1896

Your site was recommend by the Colonel who i have been following on you tube for years

Cheers

Phil

rgodridge
Site Admin

Post by rgodridge » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi Phil, nice to have you along!
If you have any means of transfering records to digital I'd just love to hear those berliners!
My youtube channel is
http://www.youtube.com/user/djoutrage18/
cheers!
Rob

Parlophonic

Post by Parlophonic » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:00 pm

Greetings good Gentlefolk! I have been collecting 78s on and off for decades, adore the hot bands of the 20s and 30s, but recently I have found an interest in acoustically recorded discs. I read Roland Gellatt's From Tin Foil To High Fidelity whilst in the first year at school (Secondary school, that is) and have been fascinated ever since. A late-comer to YouTube, I now revel in the myriad videos which bring Gellatt's written word to life five decades later. I also love to see the gramophones and the records with all their various labels and variations. So much so, that I can get a bit nerdy when on the bus or train and have a captive audience - so I have to be very careful and keep it light! I am looking forward to being a part of this forum, but will probably keep stumm whilst learning from 'those with knowledge'... but I just might add my penn'orth! That's enouh! Greetings. Over and out!

rgodridge
Site Admin

Post by rgodridge » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:20 pm

Acoustic discs are probbably my main thing, especially music hall and ballad singers like ernest pike, as you may've guessed from my own youtube channel. www.youtube.com/user/djoutrage18
This is a place where freedom of speach isn't just laughed at, unlike the tmf, so feel free to comment on whatever, even if just to say you liked it!

Bixfan2017

Post by Bixfan2017 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:10 pm

GREAT to see 27 guests tonite that's a big vote of support for Rob

shows the tmf were idiots to ban Rob
I luv Bix